New York City

New York City Review:

Introduction

   
      I never imagined that a place like New York City, a place jam-packed and filled to the brim with people, cars, and chaos, would make such a lasting impression on me.

I went during the summer time, when the weather was very hot.

     Although there are those tourist attractions, I actually visited none of them. Most of them, especially the 9/11 Memorial, had enormous line-ups, which would end up in several hours of idly standing around in the heat, and doing nothing. That is why I ended up spending time, in what people often call, boring ways...

What To Do


    New York City has quite a few attractions. Although I did not get to see the 9/11 Memorial due to the line-up, just the view from Google images was breathtaking enough. There is also the Empire State Building, which is the 5th tallest building in the U.S. I can only imagine what a spectacular view of the city it would be, standing from such a high point. Then, there's also walking around Times Square, and endlessly riding the subway while getting lost numerous times, like I did. Additionally, there's an abundance of 'strange' people, so I'd recommend New York City if you like witnessing them first-hand. 


Impressions


    I've been to quite a few busy places, such as Beijing and Philadelphia, and they really just seem like more crowded-Vancouvers (although people here tend to be more polite and calm). However, when one has spent an ample amount of time in New York City, what really stands out to me is the individual people doing their individual things. Although at first sight, it might just seem like a huge wave of people, when you come to the realization that each of them have their individual lives, emotions, and schedule, it becomes quite a mesmerizing sight. The subways, despite lacking maintenance in many areas, has a very unique ambiance. Waiting for your train to arrive, while listening to the wind of the subway cars and watching people go on and off trains, is one of those experiences that only New York's subways can give. Also, although this can happen just about anywhere with hot weather, entering a perfectly air-conditioned room, right after walking in the sun, is a great treat once in a while.


Final Thoughts


    As impressive as it was, I probably wouldn't want to go back for vacation purposes anymore. I can say that it was definitely a breath of fresh air, and I enjoyed that aspect of the trip, but there really aren't any major highlights that I can think of at least. It is especially a bad place for those who dislike overly crowded areas. On the other hand, for those who are bored of the low temperature of the climate and the people here in Vancouver, I'd definitely recommend New York City for a change. With just about no limit to what one can do there, it should be a relatively eventful vacation.  

Comments

Popular Posts